百年品牌Walter Knoll是世界頂級傢俱設計製造商,其歷史可以追溯到1865年,創辦人Wilhelm Knoll在德國的斯圖特加經營一家皮革店,由於能夠生產出質量一流的座椅和傢俱,被譽為『皇家供應商』。

Walter Knoll長期合作設計師包括:建築大師NormanFoster、奧地利的設計團體EOOS;為維珍航空設計頭等艙的英國設計師Pearson Rhodes以及德國的Wolfgang CR Metzger。其中由Norman Foster所發表的Foster500系列,在2002年獲得了工業設計界的最高榮譽獎項—紅點獎。

Walter Knoll經典之作直到現在看來仍不落俗套,就像精緻的古董一般,經得起時間、功能、舒適度的考驗。沒有過度華美張揚的設計,藉著完美比例和德國式邏輯,搭配無懈可擊的作工和落落大方的款式,一百多年來不斷營造出低調奢華的作品。

In 1865 Walter Knoll opened a leather shop in Stuttgart. To begin with, he produced every sort of handmade seating furniture. Carpenter, upholsterer and saddler abilities were required for these creations. He became the royal purveyor to the court to the Württemberg dynasty. In 1907 his sons Walter and Wilhelm took over the company and carried it on in the traditional way. But even so, both were looking for new ways of producing chairs, armchairs and sofas. Through the influences of the Weimar Republic and the First World War, new, modern seating furniture was created, and distinguished itself by the use of colourful materials and a functional design. In 1937 the company moved to Herrenberg. Wilhelm Knoll used the furniture at the Stuttgarter Weißenhof settlement from 1927 as his model. He exchanged springs and thick upholstery for elastic belts, thus achieving a higher level of comfort for his armchairs and sofas. His light aluminium armchairs and chairs also set a trend and were used to furnish the Zeppelins. In 1950, design production after the war resumed. The first furniture exhibition fair in Cologne was a huge success for the company. In 1964, Walter Knolls second son, Robert took over the management. New materials and processing techniques allowed curvy and organic looking shapes. Kidney-tables and shell seats became fashionable in the 50s. In 1974, Knoll-furniture was represented at the Milan furniture fair for the first time. International orders followed. The furnishing style became more relaxed and lead to a more disorganized living area in the 80s. In 1975 the Lobby-Seating-System was created for the Tegel airport. The office furniture series Walter Knoll Office moved its way to the centre of production line. In the mid 80s, Walter Knoll & Co. took over the company Wilhelm Knoll. In 1988 the office product line PRIMO came on the market. Modern and classic-timeless seating furniture was created on the base of traditional high quality. Established classics and new, purist designs, which could be used in public and private areas, rounded off the product range in the mid 90s. In 2001 the first new production halls in Mötzingen, near Herrenberg were christened. The buildings, by architect Hans Ulrich Benz, were awarded a prize for Exemplary building in the county of Böblingen.